Living in Singapore

Singapore is a small country really. When travelling on MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) train, a person can travel from its west end MRT station (Boon Lay) to the eastmost MRT station (Pasir Ris) in about 1 hour. (SMRT Travel Times). For staying in Singapore, its not really important to stay close by your school, polytechnics or university area. The transportation system is quite efficient here. But students tend to find places to stay near their school area (especially foreign students).
It is common to for foreign students to stay in a group of (usually) 6 persons in a HDB (Housing Development Board) flat.
Foreign students can rent whole flats or by rooms from local flat owners.
JTC (Jurong Town Council) is one other alternative which provide whole flat rentals for foreign talents. Here's the link to the current list of apartments for rent from JTC.
Rental cost from both owner flats and JTC flats are about the same.
3 Room Flats (2 bedrooms, 1 kitchen, 1 living room) cost about S$ 600 to 900 depending on location.
4 Room Flats (3 bedrooms, 1 kitchen, 1 living room) cost about S$ 1000+
If there are many ammenities near the flat, the rental rate is usually higher than average.
Oh, here's Singapore Street Directory site that I usually visit to find directions, flat locations or just finding something.
Infact, you can find some pretty high resoultion aerial images of Singapore at Google Maps.
I have also played around with Google API and created this page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I moved to Singapore about two years ago, and with some friends we put together tips for anyone else who's interested in moving to Singapore.

Take a look, do you have any tips you'd like to share? The site's at www.livinginsingapore.org

Your link to StreetDirectory is a useful one, that was one of the first sites I turned to when I arrived!